Ministry in 4G
The ministry of the gospel has been passed on from one pastor to another for over 2,000 years. Jesus commissioned his disciples to “make disciples of all nations” (Mt. 28:19). Paul the Apostle told Timothy, “What you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses, commit to faithful men who will be able to teach others also” (2. Tim 2:2). Here we see four generations of gospel ministers—Paul, Timothy, faithful men, others also. We call this “ministry in 4G.” The Cross United Church Pastoral Residency aims to obey this command and to equip future pastors and leaders for faithful and fruitful ministry.
The Pastoral Residency is shaped by the story of the Bible as a whole, and by a number of Scriptures specifically:
- “David shepherded them with a pure heart, and guided them with his skillful hands.” (Psalm 78:72)
- “Now Ezra had determined in his heart to study the law of the Lord, obey it, and teach its statutes and ordinances in Israel.” (Ezra 7:10)
- “We will devote ourselves to prayer and to the ministry of the word.” (Acts 6:4)
- “We proclaim him, warning and teaching everyone with all wisdom, so that we may present everyone mature in Christ. I labor for this, striving with his strength that works powerfully in me.” (Colossians 1:28-29)
- “Pay close attention to your life and your teaching; persevere in these things, for in doing this you will save both yourself and your hearers.” (1 Timothy 4:16)
The Pastoral Residency intends to shape a future pastor in three areas: head, heart, and hands. A faithful pastor and leader (1) knows the Lord and his Word, the Bible (mind/head); (2) loves the Lord, loves the Bible, loves his family, neighbors, and congregation (heart); (3) works hard, with energy and focus on the work God has given him to do (hands).
If you're interested in applying for 2020-2021 Residency year, email email@example.com.